[RDXA] Rig Expert AA-54 at HRO

n2ujn at rochester.rr.com n2ujn at rochester.rr.com
Fri Nov 1 05:10:08 CDT 2013

Paul,

Thank you.  Glad it is a good instrument and thanks for the ping.  The sum of reviews, and, the ability to save graph + data to memory for data transfer to computer sold it to me.

When I built the 40M dipole in Aug, and, tuned it using 1.4 W output from the FT-1000MP, across 40M, with an AM carrier, I really was thinking I need an alternative....to avoid generating QRM during antenna testing.

Also, I recently acquired, from a local ham who is moving south, a GAP Titan (disassembled and in my garage for winter).

In reading about setting up this GAP antenna, I think it will be impossible without a good impedance measurement device.  Too many bands, and, too complex of impedance response for wide frequency spaced tuning using radio.  QRM setting that antenna up will have Irv and Ed and a few other people at my door I am guessing.  :-)

Usage upon receipt:  I plan to do research on my existing multiband vertical (10m-17m), to extract out its RLC matching section values in conjunction with EZNEC results (which return the not matched impedance) to learn more about that antenna's optimal height as function of band, and then tune the GAP Titan in spring.

See you at the next meeting (now that I am no longer studying nightly).

Mike